Sunday, May 30, 2010

Teacher's Day

One of the biggest differences I notice teaching in Korea is the amount of respect and the level of recognition teachers receive here. In Korea, the teaching profession is seen as an honorable position and even has a special particle associated with the Korean word teacher to showcase this. May 15 in Korea is Teacher’s Day. Teacher’s Day is when students and their parents write letters, cards, or send gifts to their teachers to show their appreciation. Usually when this day falls during the week, teachers will receive the day off.

This year Teacher’s Day fell on a Saturday so my co-workers and I did not get a weekday off of work. However, to my surprise when I came to work on the following Monday my desk draws were filled with cards and trinkets from my students. To be honest I was surprised to find anything at all. It’s not that I thought my students hated me, but I know how hard it must be for them to write an entire letter in English. I know the letters I received were carefully written, making sure to form the letters just right and to make sure there were no spelling mistakes. Many of the letters I received were randomly filled with the English phrases my students have mastered such as: today is favorite day, I love you Dana teacher, nice to meet you, how are you, etc. All of these made me smile, and I don’t think I will get rid of them anytime soon.

Here are some of the letters which my students wrote to me:







No comments:

Post a Comment