Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gobble Gobble

So while you (Americans) are stuffing your face with my favorite dishes: turkey, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce, I am administering speaking exams to all of my students. Despite missing out on the family togetherness of the day and the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, I still have a lot to be thankful for this year. So, if I was joining you for dinner this evening and you asked me what I was thankful for this year, here’s what I’d say:

“(Insert your name here), thank you so much for providing Thanksgiving dinner! It looks fantastic and smells delicious. “

To which you’d reply, “Thank you. Now help yourself.” After everyone was served, we’d go around the table saying what we are most grateful for this year. My turn would finally come around and you’d ask me, “Dana, what are you most thankful for this year?”

I’d reply, “Many things, but let me get specific.” After a moment of collecting my thoughts, and looking quite pensive in the process, I’d say:

“ – I’m thankful for Eric. I am grateful that through the obstacles of unemployment, multiple odd jobs, and an international move we’ve emerged on the other side a stronger and more centered unit. I’m also thankful, and lucky, to have someone who loves me as much as he respects me and I am proud to say I feel the same way.
--I’m thankful for my family. I’m lucky to have a Mom, Dad, and brother who support me unconditionally no matter what. Never have they second guessed my choices. I am also thankful for their health. There was a time when my mother was ill and I worried about her constantly. But I am happy to say due to good doctors and a lot of hard work on her part I don’t worry nearly as much as I used to.
--I’m thankful for my other ¾’s: Diana, Molly, and Gina. They are always an email, instant message or skype date away. I’m thankful that they fit me into their ever changing, busy schedules to listen to my complaining, problems, or odd stories. They help keep me centered, despite being thousands upon thousands of miles away.
--I’m thankful for the friends who’ve put in the effort to stay in contact with me since I’ve been away. By no means is it easy or convenient, but I’m grateful for all the updates and stories.
--I’m thankful for the Breaux and Maraist clans. They’ve always been a home away from home and a second family.
--I’m thankful for the friends we’ve made and the people we’ve met on this Korean journey
--I’m thankful for my job and the doors it has opened for me. Because of it, I’ve been able to keep doing what I’m passionate about while traveling the world at the same time.
--Mostly, I’m just thankful to have things to be thankful for. 2010 has been good to me.”

After letting that hefty list linger in the air for a few seconds, for dramatic effect of course, I’d raise my (insert drink here) and say, “and lastly, (you name here) thank you for such a great meal. Happy Thanksgiving!”

Have a great holiday everyone. Sending you much love from Korea.
XOXO

4 comments:

  1. I miss you too Cori!! Just a short 12 weeks until I make you my famous meatball subs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It never occurred to me to post a comment but after reading your Thanksgiving list I am compelled to let you know that I am thankful to you and Eric for keeping us informed and entertained (okay, occasionally educated) with this wonderful blog. In spite of the fact that I get weekly updates on you at Tuesday night coffee it also lets me know that you are safe and sound, something very heavy on our minds here lately. Keep up the good work and I, for one, can't wait for February when you can share some of this in person. Hugs to you both and stay safe.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, I too am very excited to rejoin the Tuesday night coffee group. I'll be sure to save some stories just for the gang! See you in a short 12 weeks :)

    ReplyDelete