Monday, April 19, 2010

Birthday Abroad


I have only been in Korea for a little over two months, but I have somehow aged a year and four months since landing here. This past Wednesday marked my 23rd birthday, by American standards. However, by Korean standards I am 24 years and 4 months old. The way this works is Koreans consider the day you are born your first birthday. Rather than wait until the anniversary of your birth to advance your age, Koreans advance your age at the turn of the next New Year. For example, my birthday is April 14, 1987. By Korean standards, I was born one year old. On January 1, 1988 I turned two years old.

In addition to this, birthdays are not as big of an occasion as it is in the Western world. In Korea, it is tradition to eat seaweed soup on your birthday followed by a type of sweet for desert. Gifts are viewed as unnecessary and are thus no apart of the Korean birthday celebration.

However, because my students know I am from America they decided to treat me to a Western birthday. Each of my classes, forty-two students each, welcomed me by singing ‘Happy Birthday’ in English. This proved to be the best gift of the day. In addition to this I had many students come to my office and personally wish me a good day. One student in particular, Su Min, made me a card and hand delivered it. In it she included a list of English greeting phrases (clearly showcasing her mastery of our previous lessons together). She also included drawings of the Korean boy band 2AM. It is not a birthday card I will never forget, nor will I ever get rid of it.



The warmth and generosity my colleagues and students showed me on my birthday was overwhelming. On a day when it could have been easy to be homesick for friends and family, I was lucky enough to be showered with well wishes and kindness. The consideration the Korean culture continues to show me it what makes this adventure so memorable!

2 comments:

  1. You mean your gift from Eric wasn't the best?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is all so great! And glad you didn't get homesick. Sounds like you are a very lucky girl. And ... Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete