Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Bit of the Ordinary

Week after week I find myself coming back to this blog and reporting the big events of the week. I want to document our experiences and travels here so our readers can get a taste of what it is like to be an English teacher in South Korea. However, in doing so I feel I have neglected to share the everyday, and sometimes mundane, happenings of our life here.

Eric and I have been here for ten weeks (yikes!) and I can say we are feeling fully settled in our foreign surroundings. In these ten weeks we have found a routine which allows us time to explore, lesson plan, and relax! This is not to say that things have become entirely easy for us, the language barrier still proves to be a challenge at times, but we are better equipped to deal with these challenges as they arise. There are also times when we find ourselves longing for the simplicity of our American lives. For example, we find ourselves missing good beer and real wine, cheese, affordable fruits (it is expensive here), black tea, and real coffee.

However, through all of this we embrace the joys and challenges each day brings and are thankful for the opportunities our life here has brought our way. This past week Eric was chosen to be a blogger for the international website: worldcupblog.org. For this site, Eric will follow and blog about the South Korean National Team from now until the final game of the world cup. In doing so, he will be able to combine his passions of writing and soccer. Please be sure to check in and see how our 'new' home team is shaping up. Because of this however, Eric’s presence on our blog might decline due to the multiple deadlines he has to meet each week. Not to worry though, I always have something to say and I am sure I can blog enough for the both of us!

In other daily happenings, we have reached the midpoint of our first semester midterm exams will begin at our schools. This means a handful of half-days for us. I know Eric and his co-teachers have planned an outing to the photonics expo happening in Gwangju, while I hope to treat myself to some shopping and a few skype dates with friends.

That is all for the dull and mundane for now. There will be more cultural and traveling experiences popping up in the near future since May offers a few days off due to some national holidays. Take care and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment