Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Red Devils


On my way to work today I was surrounded by a sea of red t-shirts. This can only mean one thing: game day. We are one week into the 2010 World Cup and tonight is game two for Korea. After a great win against Greece, the people of Korea are ready for the national team’s second match against the favored Argentinean team. Here, Korea’s matches are national events. The public stops what they are doing in order to watch their team play. Big screens are erected in parks and on college campuses all over the city so everyone has an opportunity to watch the games. In said locations one is surrounded by shouting fans, waving flags, and clashing thunder sticks. What makes this experience different from viewing parties in America is it is not for a handful of supporters. Nearly the entire nation’s population comes out to support their national team. The World Cup proves to be a stage for Korean soccer, but also for Korean pride as well.

As an example of this collective excitement my school decided to order in lunch of soda, pizza, and fried chicken. I was told it was in celebration of the upcoming game. All through lunch people were discussing where they would watch the game, what meetings they had to move around to be able to watch the game, and what they would do after should Korea win. I was also told that tomorrow, should Korea do well, we would all be treated to a Chinese food lunch. In addition to the buzz floating around the teacher’s room, my students are feeling the excitement as well. Every class today has started with a popular Korean soccer cheer. Furthermore, my students decided to declare me a Korean Patriot when they saw me wearing a Korean Jersey to school. They said, “you are from America, but you are Korean now too!” My acceptance of this statement was followed by cheers of “Korea Fighting” and “Dae Han Min Guk!”

I guess all any of us can do at this point is watch the clock and count the hours until we can watch the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment