Sunday, June 6, 2010

Summer Afternoons


Summer has officially arrived in Gwangju. Each day is consistently warm and the sun greets me earlier and earlier each morning. However, the arrival of summer also means the arrival of humid weather. As the day progresses the humidity level continues to climb. The humidity rises so high by late afternoon that an afternoon thunderstorm is produced.

While I am not particularly a fan of the build-up to the storm, I find all of my feelings of discomfort and annoyance are washed away when the downpour begins. I find the smell of the rain here rejuvenating and relaxing. It is almost as if, everyday around 5:30, the day resets and I get to start from scratch. By the time the storm is over things start to cool down, the humidity begins to decline, and I can begin looking forward to tomorrow.

Behind teaching, afternoon thunderstorms are my favorite part about living in South Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment