Monday, October 25, 2010

Fish n' Chips?

Hello devoted readers, long time no blog! I promise I have a good excuse for my absence lately (though Eric does not!). A few weeks back I had to have surgery on my wrist, making typing nearly impossible without splitting a stitch or opening the wound. Too much information sorry! But after two weeks filled with doctor’s visits, after school classes, and a few coffee dates I’m back. The stitches are out; the wrist is almost fully functional so I am back in business.

First, I owe a big thanks to Eric. He is the reason I haven’t reeked of B.O. for the last two weeks. Because I was unable to get my right hand/wrist wet for two weeks, he washed my hair, my face, and helped me around the house. You can guarantee I milked this situation for all it was worth, but he stepped up to the plate and was a stud. How many boys do you know who would be willing to pluck your eyebrows?

This past weekend was the first time I was off all my meds, so it was the first happening weekend for me in a few weeks. On Sunday, we and our friends decided to travel north to Jeonju for the afternoon. The purpose of our visit was food and charity related. We heard of the fish n’ chip fundraising event from friends from the area. The event converted a local Jeonju bar, Radiostar, into an English pub for a day and was serving up fish n’ chips for charity. All of the money made from the event would go toward buying Christmas presents for the kids at the local orphanage. Since I love fish n’ chips and Christmas it seemed like a no-brainer to me.

A group of seven of us made it to the “pub” by mid afternoon. It was relatively busy, about 2/3 of the tables were full. However, prep for the food was still being done and we knew we were in for a long wait for the fish n’ chips we’d been waiting all week for. Grabbing a few beers, we all passed the time easy enough. However, once the food had arrived we realized the expectations we’d set for the food before was far too high. The portions were extremely small: one small piece of fish and a few soggy chips, especially for what we paid for them. Despite the slight bitterness and disappointment which infected the table, we all knew our money went to a good cause and couldn’t be too upset. Instead, I opted to fill the remaining empty parts of my stomach with beer! Maybe not the classiest of moves at 3:30pm on a Sunday afternoon, but something had to be done. Once we all finished (which took a while because nearly 40 minutes passed from when the first and last person received their food) we decided we were still hungry, despite the beers, so we decided to trek towards the McDonalds our cab passed on the way to the pub. There we topped off on various menu items; I and the girls opted for Oreo McFlurrys and the boys went the multiple hamburger route. From there we made our way back to the bus terminal and ultimately back to Gwangju.

We came home about 8:30 pm, a little too late for me to start any work, but just in time for Eric to catch the Rangers vs. Celtics soccer match. Even though my craving for fish n’ chips, or pub food in general, was not satisfied I enjoyed the time we spent with our friends. It was nice to get out of the city for a day and do something different, even if it didn’t turn out the way we’d hoped.

1 comment:

  1. Worth the wait! I'm sure the eyebrow plucking proved to be an intense room...reminiscent of Eric's haircuts, perhaps???

    ReplyDelete