Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Isn't it Winter Already?

This week is midterm week at my school. This translates to me working only half-days, Wed-Fri, and having absolutely no responsibilities except to entertain myself for those four hours. This can be easily done when there are lesson plans to write, emails to send, and papers to organize. Rather I find myself staring at my computer screen, hopping from one trashy celebrity site to another dreaming of ways to make winter break arrive faster.

I dream of winter’s arrival for many reasons. While winter will signify the end of my year here, that is not at the top of my list. Eric and I are still enjoying the work we’re doing, our weekend explorations, and the company of the friends we’ve made here. However, I want winter to arrive quickly because I am excited for the Christmas season, and all that goes along with it, and I am very excited for our winter vacation. This week, after hunting for good deals on flight and accommodation I can say that we have booked our winter-time travels. Eric and I will be spending a lovely seventeen days in Prague, Czech Republic and Vienna, Austria. We are excited to see snowy streets, lots of art, and we are most excited for the food and drink which await us. I cannot express accurately how badly I want to drink a proper pint, not a small mug, of beer, more specifically a dark beer…yum. I also cannot wait to eat proper sandwiches, sausages, and other hearty central European fare. Also, because we are staying for a reasonable amount of time we are hoping to make a few day trips while we are there.

So despite my hardest efforts to focus this week at work and get the rest of my lesson plans and supplementary materials written, printed and filed I day dream about the adventures which winter has in store for us. Christmas should prove an interesting challenge and experience. We’ll see what kind of Christmas dinner a no-oven, two-burner stovetop, one pot, one pan, and a microwave can create. Take out anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment