Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Minority Figures


Moving to Gwangju was harder than I expected. Even though I knew a rooted lifestyle was waiting for me here, it was extremely hard to leave the sheltered environment of Jeonju University. At Jeonju life was easy—I was continually surrounded by 350 native English speakers, my meals were prepared for me, and I knew my surroundings well. While everything about Gwangju seemed unknown. Stepping off the bus I felt an immediate difference. Not only was I standing on one small block in a million plus population city, but I was no longer part of the majority. My light hair, olive skin and tall stature quickly put me in the minority. Which were both a drastic and an interesting juxtaposition to my former life in America.

After meeting with my new colleagues over lunch, where my need to fit in expanded my culinary tastes to raw beef, whole fried fish, and hazelnut bean paste, my mind began to ease. I realized while the task ahead would be challenging, it was doable. Two of my co-teachers, Ha na and Soo, took me to our new apartment and were also kind enough to take me shopping for some basics. After obtaining two mismatching plates, bowls, and cups and a magenta velour duvet (apparently all the rage in Korea) Eric’s and my place slowly came together.

After exploring, getting lost, and ultimately learning the small alleyways of our Namgu neighborhood we can finally say we are home. Namgu is a working class neighborhood of Gwangju, located a few blocks off the main subway line. Because Namgu belongs to the working class you will not find chain stores here. Rather, the narrow streets are lined with family run and owned fruit stands, sock stands, restaurants, and all-purpose stores. Despite the small town feel of this neighborhood, we find the restaurants and shops to be comparable to its surrounding metropolis.

Needless to say, we are the only foreigners in neighborhood. Every time I walk down the street I get half-a-dozen stares, a few old ladies pinching my arms and saying hello, and the local kiddos, who are brave enough, saying hello to me in English then quickly running away. Despite being stared at, poked, and followed on the street, everyone has been really welcoming and sincere in their ogling. They like that we are here, they respect what we are doing, and hopefully we will not disappoint.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I am so happy you two are settled! When do you begin work?

    ReplyDelete