Thursday, March 11, 2010

Snow and Silkworms



Even though it is already near the middle of March, that didn't stop the snow gods from throwing some of the white stuff on Gwangju. We woke up yesterday to a thick coating of snow that had fallen during the night. As I walked out the door for work, the snowfall began to increase. By the time I was halfway into my 15-20 minute walk, I was covered in snow. As I walked up to the school I could see snowball flying high in the air above the fence. The children saw me and I was quickly, and without my knowledge, drafted onto a team. Wondering why the boy was grabbing me and pushing me towards the fight while yelling something I turned and asked him what was going on. It was then that I understood what he was yelling, "shield!!" I was a human shield. I quickly tried to get out of in front of the boy but not before my legs where hit with a few snowballs.

In other news, I am officially a celebrity...at least at Mujin Middle School. I walk into school each day with the shouts and screams of the students ringing in my ears and I walk through the halls responding in turn to waving and bowing students. My proud march through the halls is quickly over however, as I enter the classroom and look upon 40 students who more interested in shouting and hitting each other, as well as asking me random questions, than in paying attention to my lesson. I get the standard questions (for Korea) such as, "Do you have a girlfriend", or "Are you rich?", but I also get strange, personal questions like, "When was your first kiss?" or, upon learning that I like to play soccer, "Do you have nice abs?" After struggling through a lesson trying to impart at least a small nugget of my immense wisdom and knowledge, the children (both boys and girls) leave the classroom shouting "Bye! I love you!" It's a contradiction that I haven't quite figured out yet...although Koreans as a group are very shy and reserved at first, they have no problem telling you how they feel about you. The children at school routinely tell me that they love me and that I am handsome (although one shouted that I was ugly, she'll get an F for sure!). It's just one more aspect of Korean society that I find both endearing and fascinating, I never know what they will say next.

After work, Dana and I decided to try one of the several dozen Korean BBQ places in the streets around our apartment. We ordered menu item #1, which turned out to be thin slices of tender beef that we then cook on a grill in the center of our table. Using various condiments such as garlic, cabbage in a ginger dressing, and red bean paste, we roll them in lettuce to make a wrap which is incredible. When we ordered something to drink we pointed at a picture of what we though was a soju bottle on the wall, but it turned out to be a sweet, fruity, rice wine that was great.

Full of BBQ and feeling pretty good from the wine, we decided to check out a neighborhood bar with a very promising name....Beer World! Flashing Christmas lights and wafts of cigarette smoke greeted us as we entered. We quickly noticed the plush deck chairs at each table(the kind you lounge around a pool in), and knew we were in business. We ordered one of the standard Korean beers (Hite, Cass, or OB Beer - all which taste the same) and settled in. Along with our beer came a strange assortment of bar food which we've learned is pretty standard in Korea. First is the puffed rice snacks which are fairly sweet and very addictive. Next came the tiny, but whole, dried fish with a dipping sauce. Finally came the most intriguing one, silk worms. I tried one and quickly learned that they aren't for me. Their a bit tough, so instead of biting all the way through one, the insides just kind of shoot out, which is a less than desirable outcome. At least I can say I tried them once though, however it seems that a few of our English and South African friends are quite keen on the silk worms.

On that note, I'll put an end to this rambling post. Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a bit jealous. At least you didn't encounter a gay man 2 houses over who hits on you...

    ReplyDelete